Palamas, who never travelled outside Athens, included Cyprus as one of his homelands therefore, the island had a special place in his poetry. There was also a manuscript in the library with the poem ‘Cyprus’, which the poet himself offered to a friend called Lanitis, who in turn donated it to the Municipal Library during the Palamas Festivities on the 7th October, 1951.
In 2015, the Municipality of Paphos, in collaboration with the Cyprus Association of Librarians and Information Scientists (KEVEP), modernized and renovated the library, in order to support and enhance the intellectual life of the city. The project was supported by the University of Cyprus, the Cyprus University of Technology and the Open University of Cyprus. Today, the Christodoulou Galatopoulos Library, responding to new demands, is equipped with innovative technological tools, achieving maximum accessibility to its rich material, which numbers approximately 26,000 volumes, including rare editions and historical documents.
Address: 28th October Square
Tel.: + 357-26 933847