ATTIKON CINEMA – ATTIKON OUTDOOR CINEMA

Description

The renovated building near the Palia Ilektriki Centre on Evagora Pallikarides Street, which was inaugurated in 2019 by the President of the Republic of Cyprus, Nikos Anastasiades, is the site of one of the oldest and most historic cinemas in the city. The Attikon cinema was founded during the Second World War in 1941-2 by Nikolaos Taliotis (1911-2012), who turned the building belonging to businessman and landlord, Mustafa Ahmet Rashid Bey (1896- 1963) into a cinema.

During the following two decades (1950s-1970s) the so-called ‘Golden Age’ of Greek cinema also marked a golden age for the Attikon. It was the best time for cinema, which was, at the same time, an important centre for Pafos’ cultural life. Screenings of Greek, as well as Turkish, films attracted not only the Greek Cypriot Paphiots, but also many Turkish Cypriots from the Moutallos district. At the same time, performances and concerts were held in the Attikon, which hosted great names of the Greek cinema, such as Sofia Vempo, Grigoris Mpithikotsis, and Andreas Mparkoulis.

In the decade that followed, nothing resembled the successes of the previous era, with the Attikon closing in the mid-1970s. It reopened under the name ‘Othellos Cinema’ and operated for a decade from 1990 to 2000.

In 2015, the Municipality of Paphos began the process of renovating and converting the old cinema into a multifaceted cultural and conference infrastructure. The project was completed under the municipality of Phaedonas Phaedonos with the co-financing of the European Regional Development Fund of the European Union and the Republic of Cyprus.

Contact info
Address: Evagora Pallikarides, Paphos, Cyprus
Phone: +357 99 972121

Details

Category: Places of Culture


Photos